Mar 10, 2010

Workshops, Past and Future

Yes, I know I've been a little quiet - bad blogger, bad!  I promise you'll be seeing some more informational posts right quick.

But first, some housekeeping.

I want to thank everyone who attended February's workshop in Nashua - as a trial run for taking these workshops on the road I thought it was a rousing success and we had a great group of attendees that made my job that much easier!  Thanks also go out to Sid Ceaser for playing host and opening up his studio to all of us miscreants, Maggie Inc. out of Boston for supplying the lovely Gianna and Shaina to model for us and my son for managing to sleep for the better part of the drive there and back.

A few things struck me during the weekend.

First, when I lead these workshops in New York the crowd skews pretty young: I'm 36, and I'd say that I sit on the older side of the room (figuratively - the "Old Guy Seats" aren't mandatory).  In Nashua, that wasn't the case at all.  I can't tell you guys how much I respect your commitment to picking up and sharpening new skills when you've already established yourselves in other areas and, in some cases, have entire careers under your belts.  I love seeing that the learning never ends.

Second, it hit me how much more important cross-training is in a smaller market: in NYC people can afford to focus solely on fashion or portraiture or what-have-you, but the New Englanders tended to be shooting in any number of different disciplines.  It's an important reminder that you can't let your vision narrow too far and need to be able to adjust your creative approach and direction for any number of different kinds of client.

Third: hot dogs with Feta and olives?  Holy cow.  I'm going to start making those at home.  Good call, Sid!



The next workshop will be back in NYC on April 10-11, and we'll be doing a repeat of the fashion crash course, as it seems to be really popular with folks.  I'm excited to also be doing an entire day on just model directing, posing and interaction, which I think is a totally underrepresented aspect of photographing people that tends to get lost when we start talking about gear and technique and the nuts-and-bolts stuff.

Click through the link above for more info, and I look forward to seeing everyone!

No comments: